What we'll cover today, in brief:
1. Satire - let's talk about this
2. Stand up and theatrical monologue
3. Other varieties of solo performance
4. Kindness to the audience, subverting expectations
5. Actual idea generation, writing process, joke writing
6. What do you want to satirize? What openings can you exploit?
What is Satire? - Chris Morris and Stewart Lee
Tom Lehrer, "Who's Next?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGptO6j3G-U
Spinal Tap, "Stonehenge" http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28p3n_spinal-tap-stonehenge_music&start=57
Steven Banks, Home Entertainment Center: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XcVb3u22DWc#t=2551
Stewart Lee "Dead Bill Hicks"
What's So Funny? Tad Friend, The New Yorker